Today at our monthly meeting, 11th District Commander Eric Washington shared information about the Chicago Police Officer Test and how interested individuals can apply. This is a great opportunity for locals to get involved in public service and to obtain a well-paying job.
More from the recruitment promotional material:
"Online applications are being accepted NOW. The application period closes on 16 December 2015. Application information is available at www.chicagopolice.org
An important step in our effort to ensure that the most talented men and women are entering the Chicago Police Department as Police Officers is to get the word out to all areas of the City.
• Joining the Chicago Police Department allows Chicagoans to make a difference in their community while providing a stable, well-paying job that can support their families.
• Police officers have enormous pride in what we do. We are serving our families, our neighbors and our communities every day, making the world better for those around us.
• Our police force is working hard and earning a salary that allows them to live comfortably. After just 18 months on the job our officers are earn $72,510 a year.
• But the opportunity to apply to the police force only comes around every few years. This is the first time since 2013 the exam is being offered. So it’s important to act now.
• Applying is simple and quick. The first step is to apply to sit for the entrance exam. Just go to www.chicagopolice.org to start your application. You can access the website on a mobile phone or on free computers at any one of your neighborhood libraries.
• Once you apply you’ll be sent details for the exam in February as well as plenty of materials to help you prepare for the test. But don’t be concerned – the pass rate for the exam is over 80%.
• Applications will be accepted through December 16th.
We will host open houses at the Academy, 1300 West Jackson Blvd, Chicago, IL 60607 on Sat. 5 and Sat. 12 December 2015 from 1000-1400 hours to showcase the CPD and its diverse units. Candidates will have the opportunity to talk with Police Officers from a variety of units, including recruits who are currently going through training at the Academy.
Minimum requirements to take the written examination:
• Minimum age of 18 (must be 18 by February 29, 2016)
• $ 30.00 application fee (some applicants may be eligible for a fee waiver)
Requirements for hire (NOT required at time of application):
• 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) from an accredited college or university, or 3 years active duty, or one year active duty and 30 semester hours (45 quarter hours)
• A valid Driver’s License
• A valid FOID
• Actual Resident of the City of Chicago
• Permanent resident of the United States (Citizenship is NOT required)
Those who pass the written examination will be randomly referred to CPD for further processing which includes:
• POWER test (Police Officer’s Wellness Evaluation Report) - tests for physical ability http://www.ptb.state.il.us/pdf/power.pdf
• Background investigation
• Drug screening
• Medical Examination
• Psychological Examination
• Other tests as required by CPD
We updated our recruitment site “Take the Test. Be Your Best.” It is prominently displayed at www.chicagopolice.org"